Initially, this is how my reef tank looked. It is a 90 gallon AGA that has a custom canopy that I used to house the VHO lighting.

The overall goal was to take my existing porch, and make it into a fish room that would eventually house all the equipment required to run a reef. This however imposes an issue, as the tank itself would look offcenter in the room.

Looking at the wall itself, this is how I envision the tank to be.

So my goal was to incorporate the door with the tank and have it look more like one piece.

Unfortunately, to do so...a brick wall was standing in my way.

What I also have to deal with is a mess...this room has been a storage becon for junk over the years. Most of this was able to be tossed.

I also had a broken window to attend to...

 

Nothing that a Sthil saw and sledge can't handle though The process was a little dusty, but you can see I was able to break the brick wall down pretty easily.

It also helps to have a means for dumping the junk...

With the room cleaned out...I'm ready to start working on the walls. The goal is to make this exterior room climate controlled for the tank and surroundings...

So, I started with the window. To help make this climate controlled (and assist with the high humidity of a large tank), I decided to cut out the window frame and add a room air conditioner. Along with this, I also added glass block for the other half of the window.

In this, I also added a door from my gameroom downstairs. Being free, it was hard to pass up. I also wired a 20a 12g line to run my heater and air.

Other pics of the wall studs...

Next step was to pick a panel door for the living room...besides, I need this door out in the new room.

This is the original door for the living room...

...and what I chose to replace it with.

From there, it was all insulation and drywall...

Due to the extreem humidity, green board is needed.

Next Page